Monday, July 12, 2010

It happens every time, they all become blueberries



I love this time of year because it is blueberry season. Especially in our neighboring state of NJ.

While shopping the other day I saw Organic Blueberries (frozen) and was thinking Smoothies. I love Smoothies but I like them with this protein and super greens stuff added.

When I got home my mind changed from smoothies to cobbler. I was going to make it yesterday but it was very hot and the kids ended up in my parent's pool until dinnertime (which we had there since our plans fell through).

I was going to make cobbler and fried pickles.

Even though I was feeling a bit under the weather today I decided than even after having a long day at camp and not well I would cook a dinner for my family.

I did just that.

I cooked. One of their favorites (the kids) Chicken cutlets, Cous Cous and peas and corn in a basil butter sauce (okay not their favorite but I am trying to get more veggies in them).

While they ate I decided to tackle the cobbler.

Blueberry Cobbler

3/4 Stick of unsalted butter (6 tablespoons)
1 Cup Flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
1 cup sugar
2/3 cup milk
2 cups blueberries (approx 11 oz)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

In an 8x8 baking dish melt butter (I did it on the stove top on low). In a bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, salt and nutmeg. Stir in sugar until combined well. Add milk and whisk batter until just combined. Pour batter mixture into melted butter but do not stir. Pour blueberries into center of batter, do not stir. Bake cobbler in middle of oven for 40 minutes or until golden and berries exude juices.

Serve warm with Whipped Cream or ice cream.

It was fantastic. This kids had it with ice cream. Had I been more ambitious I would have made fresh whipped cream.

Enjoy!

Zizette

1 comment:

  1. Z-you are my hero!!! Looks and sounds delish :)
    hope you're feeling okay...

    ReplyDelete