Sunday, January 31, 2010

Oops, I forgot

I had promised myself and my good friends here to post my new recipes that I try this year and I have already forgot!

Well, I need to get on the ball.

Today, after a huge day of wrapping for my event (we did 70 baskets yesterday).

I have decided to make my beef stew. It's not new but I have only made it once before so let's see if it just as good the second time!

I also like to make the wide egg noodles to go with it since the kids like noodles and who doesn't like noodles covered in such a delicious sauce!

I also make this because here in the BITTERLY COLD Northeast a good comfort meal is great on a Sunday night.

Beef Stew

2lb Stew Beef
2 Tablespoon vegetable oil
2 Cups water (I use beef stock)
1 teaspoon Worstershire sauce
1 clove of garlic peeled (2)
1 or 2 bay leaves
1 medium onion sliced
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon paprika
dash of ground allspice or cloves (I used allspice)
3 large carrots sliced
4 red potatoes quartered
3 ribs of celery chopped
2 Tablespoons cornstarch

Brown meat in hot oil. Add water, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, bay leaves, onion, salt, sugar, pepper, paprika, and allspice. Cover and simmer 1 1/2 hours. Remove bay leaves and garlic clove. Add carrots, potatoes, and celery. Cover and cook 30 to 40 minutes longer. To thicken gravy, remove 2 cups hot liquid. Using a separate bowl, combine 1/4 cup water and cornstarch until smooth. Mix with hot liquid and return mixture to pot. Stir and cook until bubbly.

No comments:

Post a Comment