Sunday, March 14, 2010

Keeping My Promise


To try new recipes weekly has been hard.

Some weeks I can do and others I cannot.

This week I tried two new recipes so that should make up for missed weeks, right?

SO, tonight I tried to make Corned Beef (in the spirit of St. Patrick's Day and my Irish roots somewhere) and Braised Red Cabbage (why do they call it red when it is really purple?).

The recipe for the corned beef was rather simple, I just followed the directions on the package. It took longer than the package said but my husband the Culinary Graduate said I did not have it on a TRUE simmer. Umm, okay.

The recipe for the Braised Red Cabbage came from Epicurious.

Everything was tasty. The Corned Beef a little salty but that is expected from that kind of meat, I guess.

Zizette

Braised Red CabbageGourmet | December 2001

Yield: Makes 8 servings
Active Time: 30 min
Total Time: 1 3/4 hr
ingredients
3 1/2 lb red cabbage (1 medium head), quartered, cored, and thinly sliced crosswise
4 bacon slices, chopped
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
2 large sweet onions, thinly sliced
1/2 cup white-wine vinegar
3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
preparation

Rinse cabbage under cold water, then drain (do not pat dry).

Cook bacon in an 8-quart heavy pot over moderately low heat, stirring, until crisp, about 3 minutes. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon, reserving it for another use. Add butter to bacon fat, then increase heat to moderate and cook onions, stirring, until golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes. Stir in cabbage, vinegar, brown sugar, salt, and pepper and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 1 1/4 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment