Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Passing it on



Too often we overlook something we see or hear and as I was reading my friend's post today I realized some things that she said were true.  I also realized that we too often look at the bead things and not the good things.  Mimi often is very inspirational to me.  I have known her for a very long time, longer than blogging time and have always felt inspired by her. She simply asked that we talk about the nice things about ourselves, what we like about ourselves and qualities that we feel are good about ourselves (see a pattern here?).  It reminded me of a PTA event I went to last night.  It was the annual awards and recognition night.  Now I was not up for an award (lord knows there are many more people there who put in more time than me - I only have 3 years at the school, others have children graduating out so this is the chance to recognize them for their contributions).  So, the person getting an award has to tell their close friend who will be introducing them things they've done and so forth.  These women got up and spoke so eloquently about their friends.  I cried at a few.  I thought, "Geez, they do so much in the name of our children."  I was very impressed that even at times I have felt some of these things about some of these women and here they were being honored for it.  That was great.

It made me think about what I would say about myself (this of course in line with reading Mimi's post today).  So, if I were to say something about myself that I like as Mimi suggested it would be this:
I think I am a caring individual who gives to my friends unconditionally.

I am hardworking.  I have big eyes, thoughts and dreams.  I take on many things and get them done even if it is a struggle in the end because I made a commitment.

I am dedicated, to my family, friends and work.

I am doing my best to raise really good kids.  I am really proud of who they are becoming.

I like myself and I am very proud of what I have accomplished in my life.

That is just some of it.  Oh yeah, I am pretty creative and a good baker and cook.  

Please visit Mimi and let her know what you like about yourself.  Have a wonderful night.

3 comments:

  1. What a fabulous, wonderful, incredible post my friend! Here is what I would say about you after ten years of friendship~

    You truly are ALWAYS there for your friends - with a shoulder to cry on, a phone call when it is so appreciated, a "I'm thinking of you" note. I have always felt that if I needed support, you are my go-to girl.

    You are a fabulous mom! You have nothing but wonderful things to say about your kids, and yet you keep it real. When you have something not-so-positive to say, you find the humor in it.

    You amaze me (and I am not alone) with your ability to take on going to school, raising kids, working, and running a home. You have so many balls in the air all of the time and honestly, I haven't a clue how you do it.

    You have so much class and grace, you keep negative thoughts to yourself and find the positive, and you know exactly when someone needs your friendship. I feel incredibly blessed to call you friend~

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this post! I also loved mimi's. I love to surround myself with people who think of others, do the best they can at whatever they do, and most of all appreciate the gifts in their life. These people (you) inspire me to be a better person. Thanks for your neat post!

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this post.....and I agree with all your points. You are very inspiring to me, I hope you know that, you work hard, you always look forward, your children are your real priority - and you always make things happen. How you do it, I sometimes don't know, but you always do.

    And you ARE a wonderful friend, the best.....everyone should have a friend like you, truly.
    Simone xoxo

    ReplyDelete