Thursday, October 21, 2010

New Recipe!

I think I have made meatballs a few times, just winging the recipe and other times adapting others. Well, tonight I tried a recipe of someone whose cooking I absolutely love, Lidia Bastianich. I really love her food. I have been to several of her restaurants (one's she has with her son and Mario Batali - they really are a great team). In any case, I decided to try her meatball recipe this evening and I am in LOVE.

These meatballs were so moist on the inside and just absolutely delish. The kids liked them too and you know my picky kids (I have one who does not like sauce so I have to rinse the sauce off with hot water - please). My son's only request is that the meatballs have cheese in them and he can actually tell when I have not had it in them.

Here's her recipe:

Spaghetti con Polpette di Carne


Meatballs

1/2 pound ground pork
1/2 pound ground beef
1 cup fine, dry bread crumbs
1/3 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped fine
1 large egg
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
All-purpose flour
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup vegetable oil

Meanwhile, crumble the pork and beef into a mixing bowl. Sprinkle the bread crumbs, 1/3 cup grated cheese, the parsley, and garlic over the meat. Beat the egg with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper in a small bowl until blended. Pour over the meat mixture. Mix the ingredients with clean hands just until evenly blended. Don't overmix. Shape the meat mixture into 1-1/2 inch balls.

Dredge the meatballs in the flour until lightly but evenly coated. Heat 1/4 cup olive oil and the vegetable oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Slip as many meatballs into the skillet as will fit without crowding. Fry, turning as necessary, until golden brown on all sides, about 6 minutes. Adjust the heat as the meatballs cook to prevent them from overbrowning. Remove the meatballs, and repeat if necessary with the remaining meatballs.

Add the browned meatballs to tomato sauce and cook, stirring gently with a wooden spoon, until no trace of pink remains at the center of the meatballs, about 30 minutes. Serve over pasta. Enjoy!



Then I was being a bit ambitious this evening and even baked my family my chocolate chip cookies. They were very happy. I am sure they will be gone by Saturday. I will make more or try something new this weekend. I am thinking about trying Bakerella's cake pops for Maya's Halloween party next week.

Happy Friday!

1 comment:

  1. Yum! I love a good meatball and these sound delish Ziz. Good luck with your cake pops and have a great week-end! xo

    ReplyDelete