Sunday, October 23, 2011

{New} Cooking Experience

Well, I haven't been doing the normal kind of cooking I like to do this year because, well, my oven died in  late spring.  It kills me to replace it because it is this awful little wall oven and if it was up to me I would cut our counter and cabinet out where our cook top is an put in a freestanding range.  That would probably be very costly so it's not happening.  I guess I will have to spring for the oven soon but right now I don't have one so I made meatloaf on the grill.

Yeah, you heard me right - Meatloaf ON THE GRILL.

I looked it up to see if it was possible and it is so I took up the task and did in fact try it.  I modified a Rachael Ray Recipe a bit and followed her directions on how to cook it on the grill.  Hubby was home that day and he made his famous Mashed Potatoes and Glazed Carrots.

I assembled all the ingredients, wrapped the meatloaf as directed and cooked it up.  It came out GREAT!  My picky eater asked for seconds to which my husband replied that I will be making this meal at least once a week!

Something new to try and everyone liked it, so I guess it was a hit.  I don't have any pictures because when hubby gets involved in meal prep he sort of takes over and then my meals don't get their pictures.

Here's the recipe:

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups Italian style panko breadcrumbs
1/2 cup half and half
2 Tablespoons grated onions
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
salt and pepper
1 package of the meatloaf trio (beef, veal, pork) Approximately 3 lbs
Cooking Spray

What you do:

Preheat the grill to medium.  Mix all ingredients in a bowl.

Stack two 2 foot long sheets of heavy duty foil. Coat the stop sheet with cooking spray.  Place meatloaf on top - shape it into a 5x8 inch loaf. Fold sides up to make a sturdy package, turn the loaf halfway and wrap again sealing the loaf in the package.

I placed the loaf in an aluminum pan just to be sure.  Cook for 35 minutes, then turn over and cook for another 25 minutes (until firm to the touch).  Remove from grill and let rest for 5 minutes, unwrap and let rest 5 minutes more.  Slice and serve.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment