Saturday, January 29, 2011

Savory Snowday

Yes, another day of snow. BUT Mayor Mike actually closed NYC schools.  5:15 am I got a text from a friend with the good news.

In anticipation of snow I had done some shopping and bought these really great fried eggplant slices from a local Italian grocer.  I envisioned making Eggplant Rollatine.  I had also purchased some fresh whole wheat pasta.  Hubby had gotten the bread.

Eggplant Rollatine

4 large slices of thin cut fried eggplant slices
1 pint of ricotta cheese
1 teaspoon  Italian seasoning blend
1/4 cup grated parm/reggiano cheese
1 jar sauce (Bertolli Marinara)
Fresh Mozzarella

Mix ricotta, italian seasoning and parm/reg.  Pour enough sauce to cover the bottom of a small baking dish (I use an oval dish - 9x13 will be too big unless you're making more).  Start assembly - lay eggplant slice take a quarter of the cheese mixture and lay in center of slice.  Roll slice eggplant up and lay seam side down in the sauce.  Repeat.  When complete slice mozzarella up and lay on top of eggplant.  Put in refrigerator for 30 minutes.  Preheat the oven to 350.  Cook for 20 minutes with eggplant covered, remove cover and cook 10 minutes more.  Enjoy the eggplant with some pasta or alone.

I wanted to do this recipe because eggplant rollatine is one of my favorite dishes.  Now you can enjoy it too.


Zizette

1 comment:

  1. YOU are brilliant! This will be perfect for a meatless monday - I am sure the boys will LOVE it!
    I am heading to a vegetarian cooking class tonight - I will let you know if any of the recipes are fabulous~
    xx

    ReplyDelete