Sunday, December 19, 2010

Long Time

I keep telling myself how to get on the stick and I don't follow through.  So, the week I am off from school I will set myself straight.

It's been crazy busy times here as of late.

Last week I had the massive party here and it went great.  We made the St. Peter's Fish and Israeli Cous Cous, actually my hubby and my dad made it and EVERYONE loved it.  They truly are wonderful cooks.

One thing about entertaining, I over prepare stuff.  Not over cook but over buy, over feed and ultimately have tons of left overs.

We didn't cook the 5 flatbreads I purchased, the spinach/artichoke dip and lord knows what else.  Hey it made for easy meal planning this week.

The kids had a blast and that is what counts.  I won a Fire Pit for our backyard in the gift exchange, yay me!

The recipes for the food were as follows (dad gave me a cheater method to speed things along).

St Peter's Fish
1 lb of fish (I use Salmon - you can use swordfish, halibut any hearty fish)
1 jar of spaghetti sauce
small jar of capers
onion
garlic
cilantro
olive oil

In a 5 1/2 quart pot,  saute the onions and garlic until translucent (season with salt and pepper).  Add sauce to onions and garlic, simmer on low for 10 minutes then add about half a jar of capers. Add the fish to pot.  (if you do lots of fish you can transfer to a roasting pan and cook in the oven - it can bee cooked stovetop or in the oven).  My dad cooks it for 10-15 minutes but he likes his fish not fully cooked so I would say it took about 30 minutes to fully cook.  Plate up and serve with chopped cilantro on top. Serves 4 people.

Israeli Cous Cous with Mushrooms

1 cup Israeli Cous Cous (also called pearled cous cous)
I use the box variety, it is plain so I follow the directions on preparation on the box)
1 pint (small container) shitake mushrooms (you can use any type)
1/2 shallot
olive oil

Chop the mushrooms and saute in pot with chopped shallots, season with salt and pepper.  Add in Cous Cous to flavor it up.  Add the water and cook as per box instructions.  Serve with fish or any dish you desire.

I am sorry some of my recipes are not super technical and "perfect"  they are recipes we do at home and sometimes off the cuff so to speak.  They are tasty.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment